Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

Tricks of the Trade

I love to bake. When I was a teen, I used to bake Chocolate Chip Cookies.
They are my favorite,but, sometimes they would spread on the cookie sheet and sometimes they were perfect and beautiful. I wondered why. I learned that you should always wait until the end to add the egg to the batter so that you don't overbeat the egg


and never microwave the butter to hurry things along;it should always be at room temp. unless you have a heavy duty mixer that can handle the cold butter. Everybody loves my cakes and cookies . I've even been asked by Men, if I'd give them the recipes . I love to bake almost more than I love to eat what I bake. My all-time favorite cookie recipe is as follows...


CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

1 bar butter or land o' lakes margerine, softened at room temperature
1/2 cup butter flavor Crisco shortening
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed firmly
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
2 Tablespoons PURE vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 12 oz. bag Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips(Nestle's,Hershey's or Ghiradelli's)
***Pecans are optional.
Cream butter and crisco til well blended ,(NEVER ever use the microwave to soften the butter;it will make your cookies "oily" and flat. Now, add sugars and salt and baking soda and mix until it is all incorporated.
Next, add in the flour a little at a time until all blended well.
Lastly, add the PURE vanilla and egg , but, only mix it until the egg is nolonger visible. Do Not overbeat or you cookies will be flat and thin.
Fold-in the Chocolate Chips gently.

Chill the dough.
**I use my medium ice cream scoop to shape the cookies easier and faster.
BAKE 350 degrees til golden , but still gooey.
Remove pan from oven and let cool 1-2 minutes on the cookie sheet. Remove to a platter, using a spatula.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment