Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

Recycle, Reuse, and Repurpose...

I am a recycler, although I don't bag up my recyclables.
I recycle gallon jugs that canola oil comes in and large
mayonnaise jars; I pour used oil in them. This saves my
pipes from getting clogged by grease.
I also save large juice bottles (gallon size) and fill
them with water to water my potted plants on the front porch.

I purchased some green onions at the store with fabulous roots on
them and just cut the ends off about 1/2 inch from the base
and planted them in a pot, watered them and by the next morning,
they had already grown.

When making my own laundry detergent,I found that I did not have
a funnel large enough for the task,so I recycled a milk jug. I
simply washed it out,cut off the bottom 1/4 of the jug below
the handle and I use the handle to hold the "funnel" in place
pouring the solution through it.

This past week, I recycled 2 white cotton sheets that I
purchased at a second-hand store for $1 each.

With the first one, I made a knee lenght white crisp
cotton night gown, and with the second sheet, which was
for a full size bed, I made a short white night gown with
eyelet lace trim on the top.
I made them without a pattern and without pinning anything.
I was amazed.

Yesterday,I made a pale pink tank top from a beautiful cotton sheet that I purchased at the Goodwill for $1.99. I didn't even have a pattern for this tank top either. I actually made 2 tank tops. So, it comes to $1 each and there is material left over.
Cotton is so comfy and breathable. The weather has been so hot lately and I have to
be cool and comfy in order to be able to go to sleep.

PS I purchased another blue and white tiny checked woven-cotton curtain and made 24 more dinner napkins; I also use these as dish towels. It got me to thinkin'...It'e be alot cheaper to buy a "woven-cotton curtain" or a tablecloth and make your own dishtowels, rather than to purchase some at the store already made.

No comments:

Post a Comment