Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

Do you have any ideas for meals....


that include protein and a complex carbohydrate and other vegetables?
Please share them with me.
I made a triple batch of a meal that I saw on the TV news at noon, called
"Hoppin' John", by Mr. Food . Some of you may not have heard of him. It was
when I lived in Florida.
The recipe is so simple and fast, but it tastes so good. It actually tastes
like it's a cajun dish.....
Below is a close-up view of a bowl of Hoppin' John....

HOPPIN' JOHN



it's also on the back of the can of Bush's Field Peas with Snaps
DO NOT drain the can of tomatoes and the can field peas

2/3-1 ground meat, seasoned, browned, drained
1 medium onion, minced, sauted with the ground meat
1 can of seasoned or mild stewed tomatoes (I like the hot one by Rotel)
1 can Bush's Field Peas wi/ Snaps( not the lil red ones; it's the
Pink-eyed Purple Hull Field Peas

Brown the beef and onion, add the others. Simmer for 20-30 minutes and you are
done. This dish is typically served over rice, but I have been eating it as a Soup
instead. It cuts back on the carbs.
PS This dish freezes very well.
I hope you like it as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment